01 April 2009

Wednesday in Melbourne

Had a relaxing day. Stayed in the CBD today and shopped a bit. I found a Birkenstock outlet in a mall at the other end of the CBD and decided to walk there. It was a lovely day to take a stroll and I saw lots of interesting things.

The Australian Centre for the Moving Image currently has a display of sets from Baz Luhrman's movie AUSTRALIA. I haven't been there, yet, but I hope to before I leave. As I wandered down towards the mall I shopped today, one of the high end department stores had a display of costumes from AUSTRALIA. OMG, Nichole Kidman is TINY! Tall, but TINY! They also had the outfit that Hugh Jackman wore to the "ball" after the cattle drive and the "work" clothes he wore. Unless they had the clothing pinned to shape, he is all shoulders! Her clothes were beautiful! The cream and blue suit with the skirt (front pleats, verrry stylish for 1940's) filed me with want, although I am far too short and round to do that style justice.

Tomorrow, I think I'll go do the zoo and leave Friday for a jaunt to the St. Kilda beaches, the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground and the Holy of Holys for sport crazy Australia) and the Australian Opal Center. If I find anything I like, I may just get it and call it my birthday pressy. The exchange rate is still pretty good.

Saturday, I fly out to Cairns and up to Palm Cove for 6 days of lazing about and swimming and checking out the Daintree again. I'm flying from Cairns to Sydney. I'll just spend one day there, as the place will be rife with memories of our first trip to Australia. I know I will see Michael everywhere, especially as I plan on either taking the ferry to Manley or the 333 bus to Bondi. I just have a real need to see Sydney one more time as it's likely that, since the job may well take me out of the pacific area, (I really hope not, I like the pacific) that I won't be this way again.

No comments: