02 April 2009

Friday in Melbourne

It's my last "day" in Melbourne and it's absolutely bucketing down! Complete with thunder and lightning. This is an "American" style thunderstorm with great booming peals of thunder that echo around the CBD and rain so heavy that it forms curtains in the air. Thunderstorms are so pale and anemic in Seoul.

Hopefully, it will rain itself out so I can get out one more time. It looks like the Zoo is a wash, but that's OK. I'll get my friend a picture of an echidna some other way.

Melbourne is a great place. The people are really friendly. I've noticed that women in Melbourne, at least in the CBD rely on the ubiquitous "little black ____". That may be a dress, skirt, slacks, suit. They dress, compared to Seoul, in a most conservative manner. It's quite restful to me. I would be comfortable here with their clothing styles. All quite chic, but restful to the eyes. The men in the CBD wear mostly suits, but they are well tailored.

Food in Melbs has been a dream. I've not eaten a bad meal yet, except for the travesty in the hotel. I think that I would've been more enthusiastic about the food if Michael had been with me. It's hard to always eat alone. Kinda takes some of the flavour away. Thank goodness I have the Kindle (or a book). If I had nothing to read, I think I would just stay in my room to eat.

It's almost 1:00pm and it's still raining. If I have to, I will get out the rain jacket. I didnt bring an umbrella. It's hard enough getting through airports with the cane (which I haven't had to use since I got out of Korea...what does THAT tell you), but dragging a brolly along, too? I'll pass. I'm glad, after the trouble they had here in Victoria earlier this year, that they are getting rain. They certainly need it. When it's been dry, and I've experienced drought conditions in Florida, the land seems to pause, sigh, and kind of relax when it finally gets rain. I sincerely hope that they get the rain they need, softly, gently, and safely.

I have to pack tonight as I have a 9am flight to Cairns (3 hours). As much as I like Melbs, I have to say that I'm glad to be heading off to the tropics. This has been grand, but I'm ready for some beach time. Some quiet, some sun and surf, some meditation time. I found some candles...only tea lights, but they will do for some meditation and witchy work. A side note...the last anti witchcraft laws in Australia were repealed in 2005. Yes, two thousand bloody five! glad they finally "figured" it out!

No comments: